Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How I was introduced to The Vital Plan.

The Vital Plan:  How I was introduced.  

As I shared in my first post, I was at Self Care Therapy, in Wilmington, NC for Lymphedema treatment.  My therapist, David Wilson, shared a book with me, which was written by Dr. William C. Rawls, Jr., The Vital Plan.   David's wife, Courtney Wilson, RN, FNPc, studied under and adopted Dr. Rawls' philosophy of "first do no harm", etc.  

I started thumbing through the book and was immediately interested.  It also motivated me right away to change my bad habits.  The Vital Plan explained how intrusive treatments, or treatments that only treat the symptoms, can lead to major problems, such as cancer, without really diagnosing the causes of these symptoms.  In other words, many health care providers prescribe antibiotics for an illness without first looking at what is causing the illness.  Interesting concept, I thought.  

I am 51 years old.  I have been given antibiotics hundreds (really) of times in my life.  I have had endless ear infections, sinus infections, throat infections, etc.  Then came the Panic Disorder time in my life where I thought if I wasn't taking an antibiotic I was surely going to die.  

Did my ingestion of antibiotics cause the Inflammatory Breast Cancer?  WHO KNOWS!  Whenever someone asks me what caused it, I tell them that my mother probably walked by a factory sometime when she was growing up or even pregnant with me, and she inhaled some noxious substance.  I say that jokingly, of course.  

The strange thing is that, when I started really looking into causes of cancer, I found that one drug or vitamin supplement that prevents one kind of cancer, actually causes another kind.  But, skimming through The Vital Plan, I realized that it was time that I take my future into my own hands.  

I realize that, because I have had cancer, and now have Lymphedema, I can't subscribe completely to not taking antibiotics when I get sick.  And Dr. Rawls takes these circumstances into account.  It's really about a lifestyle change.  

There's so much information on organic this and all natural that.  I was skeptical.  Now, I make sure I'm more informed.  Just because something is ORGANIC or ALL NATURAL, doesn't mean it is safe.  

For example, take Tea Tree Oil, an all natural essential oil used for many, many things, such as nail fungus, dandruff, acne, mold, and the list goes on and on.  But, did you know that Pregnant or nursing women, or those with hormone sensitive cancers should avoid tea tree oil.  Those of us with hormone related cancers, such as breast, ovarian, etc., have a very high rate of recurrence when coming in contact with Tea Tree Oil.  

I had no idea.  I used to use Tea Tree Oil on my nails before I was diagnosed!  Don't take my word for it--do your own research.  

So, with reading "The Vital Plan", I became obsessed with Pinterest, and from there, researching organic/all natural alternatives.  Some are good, http://pinterest.com/some aren't.  My point is, be informed before you assume something is great for you because it is all natural.  

Next time, I will discuss changes I need to make in my life and more about some interesting facts I have found out about "all natural" remedies!  

No comments:

Post a Comment